Home  |  Reunion 12 Support  |  ReunionTouch  |  ReunionTalk Forums  |  Upgrade  |  Contact Us

  • Back to Questions


Some of my ancestors changed their name. How do I enter the name change in Reunion?

There are several ways to document name changes in Reunion.

For example, let's assume an ancestor changed his name from DAUBENSPECK to DOVENSPIKE.

In the Last Name field, you could enter...

If female, you would use *nee* instead of *ne*.

You could enter...

The choice here depends on where you want the name to appear in the Index. If you plan to export Gedcom files, use the back slash (\), not the forward slash (/), so that the name will be correctly interpreted in other software programs.

You could also enter DOVENSPIKE in the Last Name field and then make a note in the Miscellaneous Notes field to explain the circumstances of the name change. This is perhaps the most common method of handling name changes.

When you decide which method to use, keep in mind the desired appearance in reports, charts, web family cards, Gedcom files, Index, etc.

Also, the manner in which a name is entered or spelled does not affect it's link (to a parent, child, spouse, etc.)