How do I upgrade a family file from an earlier version of Reunion?
This information is only for people who upgrade to Reunion 10 (from Reunion 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9). If you upgraded from version 4, click here.
The instructions below assume that you have already installed Reunion 10.
Installing Reunion 10 does not make your older version of Reunion disappear. In fact, your older version of Reunion (and its accompanying files) are untouched when you install Reunion 10.
Upgrading Your Family Files
If you previously used Reunion 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9 you'll need to upgrade (or convert) your family files to the new Reunion 10 file format. Follow the steps below.
- Open the Reunion 10 application by double-clicking the Reunion 10 icon in your Applications folder.
- If you downloaded Reunion 10, a window will ask for the license information you received by email after purchasing Reunion. Enter your User Name and License Code and then click
- A window titled "Open" should appear. If not, choose .
- Select your old Reunion family file. You may need to navigate through your folders to locate your old family files. Most likely, your family files are located inside an old Reunion folder. If you're upgrading from version 8, the Reunion 8 folder is probably inside the Applications folder. If the name of your old family file is gray in the Open window list, then click , find your family file in the Finder, and rename your family file using an extension of ".familyfile" (for example: My Family File.familyfile)
- When you have your older version family file highlighted in the window, click .
- A window titled "Upgrade Family File" will appear. You'll be asked to name the new, converted family file.
- Click and Reunion will create a new, version 10 family file and open it for you. Your old family file will not be changed in any way. The information in your new family file will be the same as the information in your old family file.
For more details about what to do after upgrading, choosefrom the menu in Reunion. Be sure to read the sections called After Upgrading and Changes in Reunion 10.
Also, watch the video Changes in Reunion 10.